Professional Makeup Artist | Organic Chemist | Educator

Wednesday 9 March 2016

L.A. Girl Pro Conceal – Review and Swatches


L.A. Girl Concealers made it to the hot products’ list when everyone was raving about these everywhere. From concealing to contouring, these little tubes were seen used or rather abused by almost every other makeup enthusiast/guru. Of course inquisitive of all the hype, we had to give these a try.

Product Claims

Crease-resistant, opaque coverage in a creamy yet lightweight texture. The long-wearing formula camouflages darkness under the eyes, redness and skin imperfections. Provides complete, natural-looking coverage, evens skin tone, covers dark circles and minimizes fine lines around the eyes.

This blendable and buildable formula provides the ultimate, customizable coverage. This must-have concealer includes a soft brush-tip for easy application.

-Camouflages the appearance of skin imperfections
-Evens out skin tone
-Covers dark circles
-Minimizes fine lines
-Provides customizable coverage




What Do We Think?

The product comes in a pretty standard plastic tube with a brush applicator. You have to squeeze the tube to get it out and since there is no way to keep a check on that, you may end up with a lot more than needed. Since the consistency of the product itself is not too runny or too thick, you will get a better idea of how much to squeeze with time.

We both take concealing and concealers a lot more seriously than any other makeup product therefore in a whim of exploring the new hot product in town, we ordered four of these in shades Creamy Beige, Pure Beige, Toast and the very infamous Orange Corrector. Creamy Beige is a light beige shade, Pure Beige being a tone darker and Orange actually has deep orange pigmentation.

The concealers are quite pigmented and have a medium consistency which dries quite fast when dispatched out of the tube leaving you a little time to blend the product out. Not only you have to blend it fast, we found these a bit hard to blend. The product, however, is water-proof hence lasts long on the face which is a plus point.


Since I, Fizzah, have a medium tone with strong yellow undertones, a concealer with similar undertones is what goes with my complexion and sadly, none of the options in L.A. Girl Pro Conceal has a yellow toned concealer therefore I had to resort to Creamy Beige and Pure Beige with the former being lighter than my skin tone and the latter being a tone darker. So, shouldn’t have the lighter one worked for me? I had thought the same but a concealer with wrong undertones tends to make your under eye grey especially if you have purple-ish dark circles and that is exactly what Creamy Beige did for me. Pure Beige on the other hand, did conceal, but made the under eye darker instead. I tried layering the lighter one on top of that for brightness but the formula is unforgiveable when you do that. I have dry under eyes and need to moisturize a lot before I put on any concealer, and layering up products in that area is not my cup of tea, I want the job done with minimum amount of products when it comes to concealing.

If you do not have yellow undertones you might find a shade from the range that suits you but for all the yellow toned ladies, do not waste your money on these.

The corrector has strong orange tone to it and I always wondered how amazing the product must be that Youtubers put it directly on their faces and it blends so flawlessly, *bang* another lesson learned the hard way. Since the corrector as well is quite pigmented and hard to blend when used alone, I wouldn’t recommend anyone putting it directly. You will need to tone it down according to your skin tone and here came the Creamy Beige and Pure Beige handy for me. I used the corrector mixed with both of these concealers separately and it surprisingly did a better job than when used alone. Even then you don’t need much, a drop or two of the product is enough otherwise you will end up with an orange face.




We made these products work for us by mixing them in other concealers/ foundations as well or using them over dewy foundations. Spraying the brush with rosewater also helped blend them but it still took too much effort and time. If you insist on using a brush try one which absorbs lots of product and has a buffing quality.

Sadaf uses a Real Techniques Expert Face brush dupe to get this job done. Fizzah tried these with Beauty Blender and it alone gave the effortless blend and flawless finish for her.

We ordered Toast to try as a contour shade. You too might have heard like us that Toast is a cool-toned brown. It is not, as far as my medium yellow toned skin and Sadaf’s light neutral toned skin is concerned, Toast shows up as a warm brown on us so we use it as a bronzer. It however can be used for contouring on people with complexions similar to those of African-American origin as is clear from online swatches.

*Contour shades are NEVER meant to be warm. They are ALWAYS cool to mimic facial shadows. Yes, Youtube is lying to you.*

Newbie makeup enthusiasts are always at a lookout for inexpensive products that would deliver as well. Considering how tricky these products were for us to use, we do not recommend any beginner to try these.

Price

$5.00

Pros

Water-proof
Creamy
Full Coverage
Inexpensive
Cruelty-free
Wide colour range

Cons

Hard to blend
No yellow toned options
Quick drying


Our Rating

2.5/5

How have you found these? Yay or nay?

Love,
Fizzah & Sadaf


Disclaimer: This is a personal blog edited by its owners and the opinions expressed here belong solely to its owner's. For questions and queries please email at thepoutpainter@gmail.com

43 comments:

  1. Lovely swatches and thnx for an honest review <3

    http://beautorgeousworld.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought its only me who is having a hard time working with these concealers. Thanks for the honest review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheers on the detailed review. I had photographed mine in the exact same way. Haha. Like... literally ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woaow... That was One good and detailed Review!! thumbs up to u guys!
    I heard of these too but thought to keep it in my buy list in future, but after reading the struggles would not think to do so..
    Thanks for An amazingly summarized Review looking forward to other Posts! plus yea can you make a post on dewy Foundations ?? but I'm going on search at your blog for it ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for all the appreciation :) We don't have that many dewy foundations but we would love to have them and review them

      Delete
  5. I have in creamy beige and so far works for me :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it can be made to work but with effort sadly :)

      Delete
  6. Yummy review :), somehow m not much impressed compared to the hype :( the packaging is bummer for me ������

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the packaging is tough to work around. The hype was not really credible

      Delete
  7. I have ivory shade yes the are very hard to blend but staying power is great I loved your swatches....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, things that are hard to blend so tend to last longer. Thanks :)

      Delete
  8. that was indepth honey this one really isnt a must have with 2 or 3hundered thrown in one can get a better concealor i had the same problem of yellow undertone as i already had asked ur personal opinion but thanks for saving my money some youtubers really r misleading love n duas 4 u keep sharing the good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the honest review!
    I was considering buying these. Now I'll have to think.

    http://ohmymascara.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yet another amazing and detailed post. Great job girls. Loved how you explained the usage and purpose of corrector and yes rule of thumb, Contour shades are not WARM. Thanks to you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much for such a detailed review,this is so helpful.This is in my wishlist because of its hype you know but now I have changed my mind.Allah bless you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the appreciation. Happy to help :)

      Delete
  12. I have used Creamy Beige and it does crease unless you blend it very well and immediately set it with powder. I don't like the applicator on these. Thanks for an honest review!

    www.GULEZEHRASBLOG.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Creasing is actually not related to product but how we apply it. That's why I have not mentioned creasing in the post. You can make an LA Girl concealer work like magic with minimum creases and you can end up with creasing even with a NARS concealer if not applied correctly

      Delete
  13. I bought this from the Pop Up Beauty Shop in Karachi. I havent used it yet but you're right they dont have that many yellow tones options, I think I got a wrong shade because it look too pink on me.

    Your review and pictures are so detailed, amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep that's the problem. I don't think these are made to cater the Asian skin tones

      Delete
  14. Thank you for the detailed and honest review .. loving it to bits ♡♡
    Makeupoholics

    ReplyDelete
  15. There are so many times i tried to get them but some thing always pushed me away, i am glad i didn't buy them as i have extremely dry under eye area and i need some creamy concealers to work for me. Great review.
    GlamupGirls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dry under eyes need extra care before concealer application. You need to moisturize a lot

      Delete
  16. Whoa! Thanks for the low down on the orange corrector! I couldn't get Toast so I ordered Beautiful Bronze instead as a lot of gurus have used that too for contouring, it isn't cool toned either but I love it. It isn't too warm and it works for me! :) x

    Jadirah Sarmad at Jasmine Catches Butterflies ʚϊɞ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tricky to use. I still don't understand how come Youtubers put so much under their eyes and it still works for them :D

      Delete
  17. Wow... I need orange corrector in my life right now. Will it work as face concealer? i have pigmentation and I want to use orange corrector to cancel out the pigmentation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orange correctors are for correcting dark under eye circles. You have to put on your regular concealer above it in a dabbing motion. You cannot buff the concealer over the corrector that will not cover the corrector but will mix the two products instead and your skin will look orange

      Delete
  18. Thanks for detailed review.
    I own natural and its not something HG bus jusy okey for random red spots on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wish I had the time in my life to conceal on a regular basis. Though I do own some concealers but I dont use them. Dont know why. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) Yes time is hard to come but everyday

      Delete
  20. Wow! And i so wanted these. They work like magic on those instagram ladies. You saved my money to be honest. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I, for one, cannot carry so much product under my eyes. I don't know how they pull it off :D

      Delete
  21. Thankx for honest and detailed review and saving me from buying them as pink undertones r not for me ...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Honestly I buy first creamy beige and natural they goes well to conceal my imperfections my redness and acne .I have green and orange and I always go for green.orange works also well for dark areas.Now I find light ivory is yellow undertone but creamy beige and natural doesn't work for me as highlighting so I bought porcelain and it works great .Not happy with beautiful bronze for contouring that is too warm but I have only that one in my collection so I manage it to work.I m planning for Maybelline age rewind concealer in future for highlighting and under eye .

    ReplyDelete

© Fizzah Iqbal, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena