Professional Makeup Artist | Organic Chemist | Educator

Tuesday 22 March 2016

How To - Super Easy Daytime Matte Smokey Eyes


Hello fellow beauty crusaders! I hope you guys have been benefiting from any tips or tricks we hand out from time to time. As always, your requests and suggestions are most welcome so keep them coming.

I know that social media teaches us that going out without a winged liner and ginormous lashes is taboo these days but I am going to show you how they are options not necessities. Especially when you are in a hurry (All my mommies out there can I get an Amen?!) or you are too young to wear those dramatic Instagram eye looks, it can be quite hard. These days, eye makeup is full of sharp angles and maximum definition which suits few people. So, this high impact eye look focuses on making you look soft and sultry rather than defined and drag.

I think makeup should be enjoyed by everyone regardless of their age so today’s look is universally appealing for ladies of all ages, eye shapes, eye colours or skin tones. If you have a naturally sharp crease, this will help soften it and if your crease is hooded, it will not showcase the fact that your mobile lid is barely visible from the front. Smokey eyes are about low contrast and based on grades of colour, i.e. lighten as it goes from lash line to brow bone. I wanted to go all matte because lots of people will have you believe shimmer and glitter is the only way to look “beautiful” which is once again, not true at all. I know beginners struggle with shimmery fallout and some just feel uncomfortable wearing shimmer during the day. You can also go day-to-night with it simply by packing a shimmery shadow on the lid and maybe the inner corner. 

I have used four colour combinations to show how versatile it is. As you can see you only need three matte shades other than your highlight to create one. I am using the reddish brown eye as an example. You may use black as the darkest shade for all but that is a bit too dramatic for most people particularly during the daytime and I wanted to stay true to the concept of a smokey eye. Products are listed at the end.


How To Do It

Step 1: Primer
Prime your entire eye area and dust it with translucent powder or a matte cream shadow. You can choose to highlight it with a matte cream at this point.   

Step 2: Transition
Blend your transition shade over your entire crease area and your lower lash line.

Step 3: Lid and Crease
Pack on your lid shade blending it slightly into your crease and add it to your lower lash line close than the transition shade already there.

Step 4: Lash Line Defintion
Tightline your upper and lower waterline too if you wish. Using a pointed brush, create a rough eye liner with your darkest shade smoking it upwards and blend your waterline kohl with it too.

Step 5: Mascara and Clean Up
Now all you have to do it put on tons of mascara, clean up the fallout and put on some concealer. Any opaque line with a true smokey eye is a big no because it ruins the gradient effect you just created. I don’t recommend lashes except maybe individual ones because they will cover up your hard work.


All done! It was that easy. I dare you to stuff this up.

The best part is that the messier a smokey eye is the better it looks so don’t worry about being neat or creasing as the day goes on. It will appear slept in and sexy.




Products Used

Eyes
•ABH Dipbrow Pomade - Ash Brown
•Makeup Revolution eye primer - Matte
•Catrice Prime and Fine translucent powder
•BH Cosmetics 120 shade 5th edition eye shadow palette
•Essence I Love Long Lashes mascara

Face
Luscious HD Mineral Foundation Ivory + Garnier BB cream-Light
•Makeup Revolution powder blush - Now

Lips

Brushes
•Morphe MB 23
•DMGM Eye Smudge


Here is the full face look with the lavender smokey eye.


I hope you learned something new and useful from this post.

What is your go-to daytime eye look these days?

Love,
Sadaf

Disclaimer: This is a personal blog edited by its owners and the opinions expressed here belong solely to its owner's. For questions and queries please email at thepoutpainter@gmail.com

14 comments:

  1. I completely agree with the initial paragraphs of this post. I love the grey and brown smokey eyes. How do you shape you brows and how is the garnier bb cream?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garnier bb cream is good. I have used both the For Oily skin and for Normal skin versions. However, it's extremely hard to find a shade match as there are only 3 of them. I am working a brow tutorial so that will be up soon IA. I use ABH dip brow pomade in Ash Brown.

      Delete
  2. Love the looks! Lavender is my favorite and I can't wait to try. I got a palette of matte eye shadows and I was wondering what to do with them :D Your post is right on time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks that's my favourite too :) Which palette did you get?

      Delete
  3. I love how much effort is put into this post (: Loved the pictorial <3 You look so fresh and beautiful.

    www.gulezehrasblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such pretty and subtle smokey eyes tutorial for day time. Smokey eye is not my thing but since its subtle am gonna try it for sure. You look absolutely gorgeous in the last pic <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's easy to do a subtle smokey eye with the right shade selection. Thanks :*

      Delete
  5. you are sooo pretty <3 I love the look and the color palette. Nice post :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the look. It suits you. But for me I don't want anything near smoky at day time. It can be my night time semi-formal look. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes smokey eyes have been popularized as night time looks basically. Thanks :)

      Delete
  7. I am in love with u..... I mean ur tutorials Sadaf :*

    ReplyDelete

© Fizzah Iqbal, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena