Professional Makeup Artist | Organic Chemist | Educator

Monday 29 August 2016

What I Got for My Birthday: Mini Reviews, Swatches & Looks


Today’s post was long overdue. I had the best birthday ever this year with lots of presents that I wanted to share with you guys. Knowing my love for makeup, fashion, accessories and books, my friends showered me with them. So, let’s check out all the awesome gifts I got!

Traditional Embroidered Shirt

Fizzah sent over this gorgeous multi-coloured embroidered shirt from Sialkot with a drawstring neckline, which I’ve always been a fan of. The fabric is very comfortable and you can pair it with a number of colour and design combinations depending on your mood.



The lovely Huda from The Lipstickholic sent me a surprise package with cute studs, Maybelline color drama in Nude Perfection and Sigma shimmer cream in Sultry.

Sphere Studs

I have seen these funky round studs with crystals encased in intricate cages but I’ve never tried them on because I thought they wouldn’t go with my face shape. Thank you Huda for picking these out because I got to try something new and I really enjoyed their versatility. You can see me wearing the red ones in the look above.


Maybelline Color Drama in Nude Perfection

Nude lipsticks are always so hard for me to pick so kudos to Huda for selecting the perfect nude for me on a whim. Nude Perfection is a lighter nude on me but by no means does it wash me out. It has just enough warmth to hold its own against a smokey liner. The application is super easy and the formula is creamy with average lasting power. The only drawback is that it has to be sharpened, which wastes product.


Sigma Shimmer Cream in Sultry



I am sure many of you were drooling after the Sigma Shimmer Creams when Huda reviewed them on her blog. Thanks for reading my mind so well Huda! I love bronzer and had been looking for a cream one. This gives you that naturally tanned look with a subtle glow because of the shimmer element. It has the finest shimmer I have ever seen in a face product. Absolutely beautiful! I am drenched in this shimmer cream in the look above. The shade looked amazing on my neutral toned fair to medium skin. It lasted for hours in the summer heat.

Boots Eye Dazzle 17



I am a huge fan of Boots’ skincare and bath products so I was very excited to get this from Huda from the Sparkling Palette Blog. I have tried their lipsticks before and they were quite yummy. In the swatch alone this pigment looks like a powder blue but don’t be deceived! This duo-chrome beauty reveals the most wondrous shades of oceanic blue and green when used over a base. Here it is applied over Essence 2-in-1 shadow stick 05 I’m Blue, which is also blended into the crease, for a no-foundation trial look I attempted for my convocation. I used Sleek Blush by 3-Pink Lemonade in “Macaroon” on both the cheeks and lips to go with the cool tones on the eyes. It is pigmented, easy to apply and doesn’t fade overtime. I wore it on my convocation in extreme heat over the Essence shadow stick and it didn’t budge all day.

MM Makeup Ethereal Glow



This is my first time trying anything from this new brand and I was really impressed. Thank you Huda for picking out this red toned berry baked blush. I have been hunting for red toned blushes lately because they give a more natural result. It is stunning to look at in the pain and on the cheeks. It is insanely pigmented so I had to be careful. Ethereal Glow is best applied with a brush that has looser longer bristles like a stippling brush. Since it’s baked it gives a gentle luminosity to the skin and it has impressive lasting power even in the hot and humid monsoon of Lahore.


Beauty UK Sweet Cheeks in Vanilla Ice


I got myself this cream highlighting chubby stick from Beauty UK after I couldn’t hold in my curiosity. This is unlike any highlighter I have, cream or powder, because it literally looks like your skin is naturally glowing from within. The effect is almost like the one makeup artists create with natural oils for editorials. It barely has any colour so your own skin colour blends in. It doesn’t contain any shimmer so all in all it is beginner friendly. If that streaky Instagram highlight freaks you out then you might want to give this one a try. The only drawback is that it dries down slowly so if you have to set it with powder instantly, you tone down the glow considerably. It looks amazing on bare skin and lasts for a really long time in the summers without a setting powder.

A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (Book Review)


This was a birthday present from a fellow fantasy buff, which is surprising since I rarely read non-fantasy books. This book was written by two authors, the second picking it up after the original one, Siobhan Dowd, passed away. This is one of those unforgettable books that anyone at any age can read, feel and understand. It is absolutely beautiful!

I cannot really put into words what the story is about. A Monster Calls revolves around a young boy and the monsters he encounters while struggling to come to terms with an increasingly complicated life. The plot is nothing like you would expect. Every chapter pulls you in deeper. My favourite part was the mini tales woven within the main plot. As you follow the young boy’s journey, things start to get clearer, you learn the lessons he is being taught and your heart breaks just a little more every time you turn over a page.

I would recommend everyone give this a read if they want to experience something heartwarming, heartbreaking and life changing.

If you want to follow my reviews and ratings just visit my Goodreads profile here.

Thank you to all my lovely friends who made this birthday so special. I hope you guys enjoyed going through my presents.

Love,
Sadaf

Disclaimer: This is a personal blog edited by its owners and the opinions expressed here belong solely to its owner's. For questions and queries please email at thepoutpainter@gmail.com

12 comments:

  1. Awesome prezzies, n you are looking fab as ever!
    Thanks for honoring me by liking my token of love to u :*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing gifts and am so glad you liked what I sent you. You are rocking all the looks <3 Stay blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely products. Cngratulation and you are looking very pretty ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shirt. And those are some wonderful presents. Happy birthday. Hope im not late :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just follow your blog.
    nice work. Greetings from Greece
    www.beautyisallaround6.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  6. these earing r so cute,
    infact everything looks cute, that small botles and packing , :)
    u guys rock

    ReplyDelete

© Fizzah Iqbal, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena